Assailant shot by police as 40 injured in referred happen on Westminster Bridge

Police and security services are investigating the backdrop of the person who is killed four people and injured dozens in a terrorist rampage at Westminster as security was visibly strengthened in in the capital on Thursday.

While the Houses of Parliament prepared to sit as ordinary, patrolmen were attempting to establish the motivation and any terrorist joins of the attacker who was known to counter-terrorism public officials and conducted an investigation into his associates and associates.

A raid was undertaken by armed police overnight at a flat above a store in Birmingham precisely west of the city centre, with bordering superhighways closed for several hours. BBC Newsnight reported belatedly on Wednesday that the vehicle used in the attack a Hyundai i4 0 could have been rented in Birmingham.

A direct link between the two contests is yet to be established, nonetheless, West Midlands police referred enquiries to the Metropolitan police in London, which said it has not been able to noting for operational reasons.

In London, extra policemen forearmed and unarmed have been ordered onto the streets and Parliament Square remains shut as the capital city wakes up. Westminster Bridge remains closed and the tube depot is open but for exchange only.

Up to 40 people were injured when a lone terrorist attacked Westminster, stabbing a police officer to demise as he tried to cyclone parliament, and killing three member states of the public as he careered through the heart of the capital in a 4×4 vehicle.

The attacker was among those killed in the first mass-casualty terrorist attack on Britain in over a decade. The Commons and Monarch were locked down for several hours because of horrors of further attacks.

PC Keith Palmer. Picture: HO/ AFP/ Getty Images

The policeman who died was appointed as Keith Palmer, 48, a member of the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Service. He was married with children and had been a police officer for 15 years.

The Mets head of counter-terrorism, Mark Rowley, said the motivation of the attacker was assumed to be Islamist pertained and he had tried to enter parliament but had been stopped. Rowley said Palmer was someone who left for work today expecting to return home at the end of his shift, and he had every right to expect that would happen.

People absconded for their lives as a Hyundai 4×4 driven by the gunman at about 2.40 pm indiscriminately ran into parties on Westminster Bridge. The give of motor vehicles to assault civilians was a direct copy of an Islamic State tactic employed previously with cruel aftermath in Nice and Berlin. The vehicle then careered off the road on to pavement a few metres away from Big Ben and the attacker is seeking to cyclone parliament armed with a knife.

Play Video

People flee parliament as gunshots ring out video

Moments afterwards, a police officer who was patrolling parliament was fatally stabbed. The attacker, dressed in black, was shot by another armed man and succumbed of his injuries.

The Guardian understands the initial wielding the notion of the police investigation are the attacker was inspired by Isis and was most likely a lone actor. The intruder was already known to counter-terrorism officials. Rowley said investigators were trying to establish the attackers affiliates and his preparations for the attack.

Theresa May was rushed out of parliament as the two attacks unfolded and later chaired an emergency satisfy of the governmental forces crisis committee, Cobra.

Shortly before 9pm on Wednesday, her expres cracking with passion, the council of ministers confirmed that what she called the sick and depraved onslaught had been carried out by a single attacker. She too praised the courage of the police and other emergency services, who ran towards the chance, even as they fostered others to move the other way.

The prime minister added that Britains threat height would remain at severe, where it has been for some time; but she struck a rebellious atmosphere, contending it would be business as usual for MPs and Londoners on Thursday.

The location of this attack “wasnt an accident”. The terrorists chose to strike at the heart of our capital city where all nationalities, religions and cultures come together to celebrate the values of sovereignty, democracy and freedom of communication, she said.

Attack at parliament

Rowley said: This is a day that we had planned to take place that we all hoped would never happen but unhappily it is now a reality.

On Wednesday night, a massive investigation concerning Scotland Yards counter-terrorism dictation and domestic security service MI5 was under way. Police chiefs have told additional policemen, armed and unarmed, on to the streets of the capital.

Keeping the national terrorism menace level at severe intends an attack is panicked to be highly likely but there is no intellect a particular scheme is imminent.

Parliament was filled with MPs at the time a couple of hours after prime ministers question time. They were alerted to the incident by the voice of shots being burnt.

Within instants, David Lidington, the head of the Commons, told stupefied MPs: What I am able to say to the house is there has been a serious occurrence within the estate. It seems that a police officer has been stabbed, that the alleged assailant was shot by armed police.

Witnesses described how a scene of horror suddenly undid at what is one of the UKs busiest tourist discerns. Rob Lyon, 34, from Rugby, was going along Westminster Bridge with a colleague when he saw a 4×4 vehicle travelling at high speed, reaching pedestrians.

He said: I heard a rotate obviously touched a kerb, quite a thunderous crunch interference, I gazed up and insured a vehicle clearly hitting beings as it came towards me. A colleague I was with, James, I heard him sort of shout. I instinctively jumped off the pavement. I could see parties being hit. And then the car merely carried on up the bridge and I merely looked around and was actually in shock.

Radosaw Sikorski, a former Polish foreign minister, assured at the least five people lying on the ground after being mown down by a auto. I heard what I thought was just a conflict and then I appeared through the window of the taxi and saw someone down, obviously in enormous distress, he said.

Play Video

Members of the public helping the injured on Westminster Bridge video

Pictures developed after the incident proving parties lying disabled on Westminster Bridge, some of them bleeding earnestly. A woman was plucked alive from the Thameswith serious injuries after having fallen into the water during the attack.

The car then sped towards the Palace of Westminster, and came to a halting on the sidewalk, up against fences to the north of New Palace Yard, the dark-green cavity neighboring to Big Ben, opposite an entry to Westminster tubing station.

A man with a spear was then experienced leading through the doors of the Palace of Westminster, across New Palace Yard and jabbing a police officer.

The attacker continued his rampage, targeting two seconds policeman, according to witnesses. But he was shot by police as he approached, knife in hand.

Witness Rick Longley said he saw the car accident into the railings and a husband leaping out. He said: We were just sauntering up to the station and there was a thunderous blow and a person, someone, crashed a gondola and took some pedestrians out.

They were just laying there and then the whole gathering merely surged around the corner by the gates precisely opposite Big Ben. A person came past my right shoulder with a big bayonet and simply started throwing it into the policeman.

In the aftermath of the attack, Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood helped plow the injured officer ,~ ATAGEND unsuccessfully trying to resuscitate him.

The Bournemouth MP, a former soldier, was depicted with blood on his forehead, helping the police officer in Parliament Square. Ellwoods brother Jonathan was killed in the 2002 Bali terror attack.

Two parties could be seen lying within New Palace Yard, immediately outside Westminster Hall. The sitting down the House of Commons was suspended while police officer sealed off the domain. Parliamentary personnel were told to stay in their powers. Hour following the incident, an breeze ambulance territory in Parliament Square, as sirens were discovered outside, but the polouse could not be saved.

Ken Marsh, chair of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said: This incident unhappily shown in the hazards our colleagues face on a daily basis. They show incredible bravery protecting the public.

Up to 1,000 people were evacuated at different spots, including Westminster Abbey. It took several hours for parliament to be evacuated.

Hospitals in London were put on alert and of the 20 disabled, 8 were taken to the major trauma centre at Kings College hospital, with two parties in critical condition and six stable. Those at Sovereigns were six men and two women.

Two casualties were treated at St Thomas hospital, immediately opposite the Houses of Parliament, a man and a woman, both of whom were stable. The ambulance work said eight of those injured were treated at the scene.

In a statement the Muslim Council of Britain said: We condemn this attack and while it is still too early to suppose on the reasons, our thoughts and devotions are for the victims and those affected. We pay tribute, too, to the police and emergency services who administered this with courage. The Palace of Westminster is the centre of our democracy and we must all ensure that it continues to serve our country and its parties with safety and security.

London mayor Sadiq Khan said in a video content: London is the greatest metropolitan in the world and we stand together in the face of those who seek to harm the americans and destroy our way of life. We ever have, and we always will. Londoners will never be cowed by terrorism.