Suspect believed to be Salih Khater, 29, who is of Sudanese origin and from Birmingham
A man has been held on suspicion of terrorism offences after a automobile was driven into pedestrians and cyclists before disintegrating outside parliament in Westminster, as Downing Street exposed authorities were working on hundreds of live counter-terrorism investigations.
The suspect, a 29 -year-old British national, was arrested at the stage after armed police officers swooped on a silver-tongued Ford Fiesta that had disintegrated into protection railings on St Margaret Street at about 7.40 am on Tuesday.
The Guardian understands his appoint is Salih Khater, who lives in the Sparkbrook area of Birmingham and is of Sudanese origin.
Scotland Yard said the man was not known to the security services and was not cooperating with analyse officers, but owing to the crash appearing to be deliberate and the location it was being treated as a suspected terrorist attack.
The car travelled to London from Birmingham on Monday night and wasted the time between around 1.25 am and 5.55 am in the Soho area, before moving to Westminster and Whitehall at about 6am where it remained before the accidents an hour and 40 minutes earlier, police said.
Two residences in Birmingham and one in Nottingham were examined on Tuesday. Roger Godsiff, the MP for Birmingham Hall Green, said:” Today’s attack at Westminster was carried out by an individual who is believed to have been living in my constituency in Birmingham .”
Nottinghamshire police said they were supporting counter-terrorism men as they researched a residential property in the Radford area of the city. The address is thought to be a flat on Peveril Street.
Neighbours told the Press Association that the house, shared by dwellers, is host to six Sudanese beings. Ibrahim Ahmed, 24, who lives in the same terrace row, said:” It’s Sudanese people who live there .”
The Nottingham Post was pointed out that the car involved in the accidents was registered to an address in Nottingham. The current owner of the vehicle bought it on 20 June this year.
Two men and one maiden injured during the crash. One was treated at the panorama and two were taken to hospital and eventually discharged.
Theresa May said the threat level to the UK remained at severe, implication an attack was considered highly likely. The prime minister’s spokesman said the security services and counter-terrorism police were carrying out 676 live investigations at the end of June, up from more than 500 in March.
He said 13 Islamist schemes and four plots by far-right extremists had been foiled in the past 18 months.
The home secretary, Sajid Javid, urged people to” retain an open knowledge” about “whats happened”.” There are understandably a lot of questions about the incident … The briefing I have received from counter-terrorism police and the security services is that work is ongoing and they are doing everything they can to find out more ,” he said.