Suspect believed to be Salih Khater, 29, who is of Sudanese parentage and from Birmingham
A man has been held on doubt of terrorism offences after a automobile was driven into pedestrians and cyclists before crashing outside parliament in Westminster, as Downing Street exposed experts were working on hundreds of live counter-terrorism investigations.
The suspect, a 29 -year-old British national, was apprehended at the background after armed police officers swooped on a silver Ford Fiesta that had crashed into security roadblocks on St Margaret Street at about 7.40 am on Tuesday.
The Guardian understands his figure is Salih Khater, who lives in the Sparkbrook area of Birmingham and is of Sudanese origin.
Scotland Yard said the man was not known to the security services and was not cooperating with analyse officers, but owing to the disintegrate appearing to be deliberate and the location it was being treated as a believed terrorist attack.
The car travelled to London from Birmingham on Monday night and invested the time between around 1.25 am and 5.55 am in the Soho area, before moving to Westminster and Whitehall at about 6am where it remained before the accident an hour and 40 minutes later, police said.
Two residences in Birmingham and one in Nottingham were examined on Tuesday. Roger Godsiff, the MP for Birmingham Hall Green, said:” Today’s attack at Westminster was carried out by an individual who is believed to have been living in my constituency in Birmingham .”
Nottinghamshire police indicated that they are reinforcing counter-terrorism patrolmen as they searched a residential dimension in the Radford area of the city. The address is thought to be a flat on Peveril Street.
Neighbours told the Press Association that the house, shared by inhabitants, is residence to six Sudanese beings. Ibrahim Ahmed, 24, who lives in the same terrace row, said:” It’s Sudanese people who live there .”
The Nottingham Post reported that the car involved in the incident was registered to an address in Nottingham. The current proprietor of the vehicle bought it on 20 June this year.
Two men and one wife were injured in the gate-crash. One was treated at the background and two were sent to hospital and eventually discharged.
Theresa May said the threat level to the UK remained at severe, representing an attack was considered highly likely. The prime minister’s spokesman said the security services and counter-terrorism police were carrying out 676 live investigations at the end of June, up from more than 500 in March.
He said 13 Islamist plots and four schemes by far-right fanatics had been foiled in the past 18 months.
The home secretary, Sajid Javid, urged the public to” obstruct an open knowledge” about what had happened.” There are understandably a lot of issues concerning the accident … The briefing I have received from counter-terrorism police and the security services is that work is ongoing and they are doing everything they can to find out more ,” he said.