In all likelihood, Sandra Bland would still be alive today if she’d been a white girl.

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders said this himself Tuesday, shortly after it was announced there used to be no indictments seeing Bland’s extinction in a Texas jail cell this summer.


A splendid jury finished the occasion Monday and received no trespas crime committed on behalf of the sheriff’s office or the jailers committed. Bland was found dead in her jail cell in Waller County, Texas, on July 13 after she was arrested, ostensibly for a transaction misdemeanour. Authorities said her fatality was a suicide, but their own families — and black activists everywhere — vehemently quarrelled the finding at the time, and numerous abide dubious.

“The family of Sandra Bland is believed that she was killed and did not is suicide, ” a solicitor for the family said in a statement in July. Since then, Bland’s family has come to acknowledge it is at least possible Bland took her working life — though they remain adamant that even if government officials version of events is true, “hes still” police negligence, and the officer who drew Bland over in the first place, that really induced her extinction. It’s difficult to believe, after all, that Bland would have been arrested and incarcerated if she used white, just as it’s hard to believe that a disheartened detainee could take her own life unless her guards were paying much less courtesy than they should have been.

Sanders, who met with Bland’s family earlier this year, issued a statement Tuesday that spoke of the “need to reform a extremely separated criminal justice system” — repetition the contemplates of a growing number of Americans who abhor the ethnic disparities in policing and the often violent treatment of pitch-black men and women by cops. After all, these are the same feelings fueling the present push to make it clear to those in dominance that black lives matter.

However, the non-indictment didn’t find as a collapse to many of the peoples of the territories passionate about Bland’s event 😛 TAGEND

Bland’s story transfixed and outraged many who was informed about her death, insured the video of her arrest and read about who she was — an activist herself, on a promising tour eventually cut short.

But Bland’s case is far from singular — it’s not even the only event like it that happened that month. Two weeks after Bland’s death, Ralkina Jones, 37, was encountered apathetic in her jail cell in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Jones had been arrested after her ex-husband accused her of assaulting him and trying to hit him with a auto. Once in custody, she described her medical conditions and necessary medications in detail to policemen, conveying feeling for her well-being.

“I don’t want to die in your cell, ” she told them, according to Northeast Ohio Media Group .

Jones was noticed 15 hours later. Her death was ruled accidental and related to her medical conditions.

Her story, in turn, seems a little like Raynette Turner’s, who died in a cadre in New York the next day after complaining about health problems.

As “the member states national” discussion around race and policing gained impetu in the past year, Bland’s death accompanied replaced awareness to the number of black maidens killed in police meetings. Activists launched campaigns like Say Her Name that are intended to amplify the histories of black ladies, which rarely receive national attention.

That comparative lack of attention is still very much such issues. The non-indictment in Bland’s case is reflective of more than one woman’s heartbreaking and untimely demise — it reflects the ongoing dearth of police accountability in a blueprint of cases involving black women and girls.

Below, you are able to read the stories of 13 other pitch-black women and girls killed during police meetings in the past 12 times. Their lineages are all still waiting for justice.

Tanisha Anderson: Expired Nov. 13, 2014, age 37, Cleveland

Family Photo

Overa year after Tanisha Anderson lost her life in an accident with Cleveland police officers, her family is still waiting for answers.

The 37 -year-old croaked after her mother announced 911 while Anderson was having a “mental health occurrence, ” as described in the family’s precede suit against metropolitan police.Officials say that when policemen tried to take Anderson to a treatment facility, she struggled and then started hobble. Her kinfolk supposes police slammed her to the soil and place a knee in her back. A medical examiner ruled Andersons death a homicide, research results of being “physically restrained in a prone place by Cleveland police.”Her heart condition and bipolar disorder were also considered factors.

The Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Department began investigating the incident in July at the request of the prosecutors bureau.

In a improper demise litigation, Anderson’s family was of the view that CPD Officers Scott Aldridge and Bryan Myers did not provide medical noticeto Anderson as she lay on the sand unconscious.

Aldridge had previously been suspended for infringing the department’s use-of-force plans, according to Northeast Ohio Media Group, and was punishment in 2012 for his role in the deaths of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell( examine slide# 6 in this accumulation ). Aldridge and Myersdeny that they caused Andersons death and haveasked for the action to be dismissed.

The month after Anderson was killed, an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Cleveland police have a pattern of using excess force, including against people who are mentally ill, and that they dont use appropriate proficiencies to account for mental illness.

Mauvion Green, Andersons daughter, told Northeast Ohio Media Group last year that she wants to work for conscientious treatment of peoplewith mental illness. “I’m fighting for my mother, but I’m fighting for everyone else, extremely, ” Green remarked.

Yvette Smith: Croaked Feb. 16, 2014, age 47, Bastrop, Texas

Family Photo

Yvette Smith was fatally shot when Bastrop County Sheriff’s Deputy Daniel Willis responded to a 911 call about a fight between various mortals at a mansion, according to KXAN. At the panorama, approvals pronounce, Willis told Smith to come out of the house, then filmed her twice when she did so. An initial testimony claiming that Smith was armed was afterward retracted by police officials.

Willis was fuelled, and hisrecord returned under investigation. An evaluation from a past bos said thathe required more development in handling explosive situations” and “utilization of common sense.”

Following agrand jury indictment for assassinate, Willis wastried in September. A mistrial was declared when the jury deadlocked 8-4 in favor of experiencing Willis guilty. The prosecutor on the lawsuit told KXAN the prosecutionwould retry the caseand wouldnt consider a lesser charge.

Smiths family filed a improper fatality suit in 2014.

“A part of me is departed, you are familiar with, and I care I could have that back, but I can’t, “Yvonne Williams, Smiths twin sister, told KVUE last year. “I only want right for her.”

Miriam Carey: Succumbed Oct. 3, 2013, age 34, Washington , D.C.

Tom Williams/ CQ Roll Call

U.S. Secret services and Capitol Police officers fatally film Miriam Carey in a vehicle chase after she drove her vehicle into a security checkpoint near the White House despite orderings to stop. Officers fuelled multiple kills at Carey, a dental hygienist from Connecticut, hitting her five times.Her 1-year-old daughter, who was also in the car, survived.

An autopsy found that Carey was not under the influence of drugs or booze, her family’s advocate did, and no artilleries were found in her gondola. She had previously been diagnosed with postpartum depression and psychosis.

Federal lawyers said in 2014 that they would not file indicts against the officers. Careys family filed a improper death lawsuit.

The emphasis shouldnt be on why[ Miriam was in Washington , D.C .], ” sister Valarie Carey told The Washington Post last year. “The emphasis should be[ on] what those detectives did. Were their actions proper?

Shelly Frey: Succumbed Dec. 6, 2012, age 27, Houston


Shelly Frey was killed after she and two other women were allegedly caught stealing from a Walmart in 2012, the Houston Chronicle reports. Louis Campbell, an off-duty sheriffs deputy working as a security guard, tried to detain them and then shoot into a car in which Frey was a passenger. She was struck twice in the neck.

Campbell apparently told investigators that he opened fire after the operator of the car tried to run him over. Two other womenandtwo children were in the car with Frey. When paramedics arrived, the latter are unable to revive her.

Frey had previously pleaded guilty to embezzling shirts and flesh from Walmart, according to Houston’s KHOU, and was prohibited from registering the store.

Her familysued Walmart for improper fatality. Campbell has not faced any accusations.

Darnisha Harris: Succumbed Dec. 2, 2012, age 16, Breaux Bridge, Louisiana


Darnisha Harris was 16 when Breaux Bridge police Officer Travis Guillot fired two shots into the car she was driving. Guillot and two other patrolmen were responding to a 911 call about an outdoor fighting. According to The Advocate, a Louisiana newspaper, the officerssaw Harris driving erratically, stumbling parked cars and a onlooker, before Guillot opened fire.

Harris was on probation for artillery on a police officer and infringing a court-ordered curfew when she died, according to The Advocate.

Guillot was previously accused of mismanagement while working at three different law enforcement agencies, according to KATC of Lafayette, Louisiana. The happens included shooting a dog while on patrol and allegedly fondling female inmates, as well as Guillot’s alleged involvement in the caseof prison inmates who was killed of cocaine delirium while in custody. A lawsuit regarding this last-place allegation was resolved out of courtroom.

In the summer of 2013, some eight several months after Harris’ death, a splendid jury declined to indict Guillot.

Malissa Williams: Died Nov. 29, 2012, age 30, Cleveland

Tony Dejak/ Associated Press

Malissa Williams was a passenger in a auto driving in a humankind called Timothy Russell when a police officer thought he heard films fuelled from private vehicles and embarked following them, according to the Associated Press. A 25 -minute chase through Cleveland ended with 13 patrolmen firing 137 rounds at the car, which policeeventually cornered in local schools parking lot. Twenty-three bullets impressed Russell, and 24 collision Williams. They were both killed.

Williams and Russell, who both had criminal records, were unarmed.

Six patrolmen were indicted in the car pursue. Officer Michael Brelo was charged with manslaughter, and five boss were charged with dereliction of duty. Brelo — who were reportedly burnt 49 films at the vehicle, 15 of them from atop the hood of the car itself –was tried earlier this year and discovered not guilty on all fees, including two weighs of voluntary manslaughter, struggled voluntary manslaughter and felonious assault.

“They did not deserve to die for fleeing and eluding, ” Michelle Russell, Timothy’s sister, told Northeast Ohio Media Group.

Five police foremen are awaiting trial on indicts of dereliction of duty.The city agreed a wrongful death suit with the victims’ familiesfor$ 3 million in 2014.

“This shooting is one of the worst examples of police misconduct in American history, ” lawyers for Williams’ and Russell’s families mentioned at the time. “This settlement mails the clearest signal yet that real reform must be achieved inside the Cleveland Police Department.” “They did not deserve to die for fleeing and eluding, ” Michelle Russell, Timothy’s sister, told Northeast Ohio Media Group.
Five police overseers are awaiting trial on bills of dereliction of duty.The city decided a improper demise litigation with the victims’ familiesfor$ 3 million in 2014.

“This hitting is one of the worst examples of police misconduct in American biography, ” advocates for Williams’ and Russell’s kinfolks alleged at the time. “This settlement transports the clearest signal yet that real improve must be achieved inside the Cleveland Police Department.”

Shantel Davis: Succumbed June 14, 2012, age 23, New York City


Shantel Davis was fatally shot while driving a stolen automobile. Plainclothes NYPD patrolmen approached her after she led multiple red lights. When she attempted to flee, Phil Atkins, a narcotics detective, allegedly tried to alteration her gondola into ballpark as it was moving, The New York Times reports. His grease-gun fired once, striking Davis in the chest.

Davis had been arrested eight periods previously and was due in court the day after her death for kidnap and struggled carnage indictments, according to the Times. She was unarmed when she was shot.

Atkins had been sued seven hours over the previous decadefor variousallegations, including undue use of force, according to DNAinfo.

Rekia Boyd: Died March 22, 2012, age 22, Chicago

Nuccio DiNuzzo/ Chicago Tribune/ TNS via Getty Images

Rekia Boyd was unarmed when she was shot in the back of the head by Dante Servin, a Chicago police detective who was off-duty at the time.

Servin was driving near his home late at night when he saw a group of four beings moving. He had a brief conference with them from his auto, then transformed the wrong way downa one-way street. Harmonizing to the Chicago Tribune, he said he then looked over his shoulder and thought he saw a husband by the working group pull a artillery from his pants and degree it at him.

Servin fuelled five rounds over his left shoulder through his auto space, impressing “the mens” in the mitt and Boyd in the back of the top. The male whom Servin believed to have a gun was actually propping a cell phone.

Boyd was taken to a infirmary and croaked the next day.

In 2013, Servin was indicted on bills of involuntary manslaughter, foolhardy discharge of a firearm and reckless manage. His test began in April 2015, but was quickly rejected by the reviewer.

In November, the police department began the process of firing Servin, which requires a hearing before the Chicago Police Board. As of December, the board has not yet reached a decision.

The city apportioned Boyds family $ 4.5 million as part of a wrongful fatality settlement.

My mother props a lot inside but shes hurting, specially when she sounds about police violence, ” Martinez Sutton, Boyds brother, told The Chicago Citizen newspaper. In November, the police district began the process of fuelling Servin, which requires a hearing before the Chicago Police Board. As of December, the board has not yet reached a decision.

The city apportioned Boyds family $ 4.5 million as part of a wrongful demise settlement.

My mother nurses a lot inside but shes hurting, especially when she sounds about police brutality, ” Martinez Sutton, Boyds brother, told The Chicago Citizen newspaper.

Shereese Francis: Croaked March 15, 2012, age 29, New York City


Shereese Francis was killed after family members called authorities trying help because Francis, who had schizophrenia, has not been able to been taking her prescription and appeared to need medical attention. She’d refused to go to a infirmary voluntarily.

When NYPD detectives arrived, the familys wrongful death suit alleges, Francis did not realizetheywere police, due to her mental illness. When Francis, who was unarmed, tried to leave the room against policeorders, they supposedly sought her, grabbed her and tackled her on a bunk. The dres claims four officers set their weight onto Francis back while trying to cuff her, and her sister speculates she saw them stumbling and using a Taser on Francis until shestopped moving.

Francis was pronounced dead at a hospital shortly after the incident. Her cause of death was “compression of trunk during agitated violent behaviour( schizophrenia) while prone on bunk and struggled imprisonment by police officers, according to The Village Voice.

The lawsuit said the officers overwhelmingly transgressed NYPD programs on mental illness, in part because the department had failed to provide training on thesubject.

The city adjudicated with Francis family for $1.1 million.

Aiyana Stanley-Jones: Died May 16, 2010, age 7, Detroit

Carlos Osorio/ Associated Press

Aiyana Stanley-Jones was sleeping on her lounge with her grandmother when police conducted a “no knock” raid of their dwelling. Officer Joseph Weekley was firstly through the door, and after a flash-bang grenade set off, he fuelled his gun, killing Aiyana. Weekley later testified that the grandmother impressed his weapon and effected him to barrage, but she repudiates having beennear the gun.

Police said the raid was in search of a slaughter believe who lived in the second-floor unit of the home.

Weekley was charged with involuntary manslaughter andcareless discharge of a firearm causing death, but his casewas dismissed after two mistrials. Hereturned to obedienceas a Detroit police officer in April.

Tarika Wilson: Succumbed Jan. 4, 2008, age 26, Lima, Ohio

Family Photo

Tarika Wilson was killed when a Lima police SWAT team raided her rental residence to arrest her boyfriend on narcotic costs, according to The New York Times. She had her youngest son, Sincere, in her arms when she was shot by Sgt. Joseph Chavalia. Sincere, who was 14 months old-fashioned, was shot in the shoulder and side but survived.

Chavalia was acquitted of the misdemeanor accuses of negligent homicide and careless assault. He testified that he seemed their own lives are at risk when he shooting Wilson, making he’d envisioned a shadowand discovered gunshots nearby. The fires hadactually come from men downstairs, according to the Associated Press.

The city settled a improper fatality suit with Wilsons family for $2.5 million in 2011.

Alberta Spruill: Died May 16, 2003, age 57, New York City

Andrew Savulich/ NY Daily News via Getty Images

Alberta Spruill likewise succumbed after police deported a “no knock” raid at her home in error. Detectives violated through her doorway and threw a concussion grenade while Spruill, a city employee, was getting ready for act. She was briefly handcuffed but released when men realized they were in the wrong lieu and that the information they’d “ve been given” — that guns and drugs were being stored in the apartment — was incorrect. Spruill died of a heart attack at a nearby infirmary less than two hours later.

The city of New York agreed to pay a $1.6 million village to Spruills household.

This case for them is not about money. Its about changing procedure, Johnnie Cochran, the lawyer for Spruills sisters, said in 2003. Its about the fact that their sister shall not be required to be have died in vain.

Kendra James: Died May 5, 2003, age 21, Portland, Oregon

Alex Milan Tracy/ Corbis

Portland police Officer Scott McCollister fatally shot Kendra James during a transaction stop. When McCollister gathered over the car in which James was a passenger, he took the driver, Terry Jackson, into imprisonment after reading he had an superb warrant. James moved behind the wheel of the car and tried to drive away, and McCollister tried to stop her by climbing partwayinto the car and pulling her hair and using pepper spray and a Taser. James placed the car into drive and McCollister filmed her. He afterward claimed he’d gone stuck in the car’s doorway and that he’d feared for his life.

A splendid jury declined to prosecute. McCollisterwas initially froze, but the disciplinary action was overturned by an arbitrator.

Its been 10 year later, right has still not[ been] helped, James mother, Shirley Isadore, said at a 2013 rallying celebrating the commemoration of her daughters death.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here